It’s very easy to get caught up in all the things you ‘should’ do for your business, and it seems as if there are always more. It can feel difficult to keep the ship afloat, while also moving it forward at the pace you want. In these moments, always refer to the 80/20 rule, also known as the ‘Pareto Principle’: Focus on the 20% of your work, that yields 80% of your results or revenue.
Face it, your time is extremely limited and to move your business forward, you need to be highly particular about the tasks you take on. Let us do some of the work for you, and tell you about the 80/20 factor of your website, that you’re likely missing out on: Search Engine Optimization.
Search Engine Optimization, also commonly abbreviated as ‘SEO’, is the practice of making your website more visible in search engines, i.e. ranking higher in search results. So why should you care about this? Would ranking on the first page of Google really make that big of a difference in your business? Let’s look at some incredible stats:
- Websites that rank on the first page of Google, average 92% of ALL search traffic. (source)
- Websites that organically rank #1 on the first page of Google, average 32.5% of ALL search traffic. (source)
If these numbers aren’t staggering to you on their own, let’s use a real life example:
- 4 out of 5 consumers find local information on search engines. (source)
- The takeaway: printed directories and word of mouth aren’t nearly as powerful as Google when customers are looking for your business.
- Let’s say one of those consumers is looking to get a new roof, they may type in ‘roofers denver co’, which currently gets ~500 searches a month*.
- If you ranked #1 for ‘roofers denver co’, you’d average about 162 of those 500 searches, landing on your website every month from this phrase alone.
- This doesn’t even include other relevant and similar phrases such as ‘roofing contractors denver’ (~450 searches a month*), ‘roofers denver’ (~200 searches a month*), or ‘denver roofers’ (~150 searches a month*)
- Ranking for all 4 of these phrases totals ~1,300 searches a month, resulting in ~422 hits a month on the website ranking in the #1 position, and this isn’t even all the variations possible!
- If even 5% of these ~422 visitors convert to a sale this is ~20 new roof jobs a month!
*All search result volumes, courtesy ahrefs.com.
See how quickly the numbers add up?
If there is one thing you focus on to follow the 80/20 rule and increase your business, it needs to be search engine optimization. Ranking consistently high in Google brings you in front of visitors while they are motivated to buy.
To find out more, follow along in this 5 part series on SEO. You can also call us at 303-424-2522 to get a free keyword analysis and consultation on how your business could benefit from ranking higher in Google.